Middle Eastern Chickpea Bowl I’ve tried this recipe myself and it was delicious. The cool thing about this recipe is that it can be made for whatever your taste buds desires. If you are a vegetarian, you’ll eat this way, if you are a pescatarian, add some shrimp and/or crab meat, and if you are a meat eater, than add ground beef, ground turkey or even sliced pieces of steak.
Ingredients: Serving Size 2 person or 4 person
- 1 or 2 Red Onions
- 1 or 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 1/4 oz or1 1/2 oz Cilantro
- 1 or 2 Lemon(s)
- 1/4 or 1 cup Pistachio(es)
- 4oz or 8oz of Grape Tomatoes
- 1 or2 Veggie Stock Concentrate
- 1/2 cup or 1 cup Basmati Rice
- 13.4 oz or 26.8 oz Chickpeas
- 1 or 2 tbsp of Shawarma Spices
- 4 or 8 tbsp Sour Cream
- 1 or 2 tbsp Hot Sauce
- Adjust the rack to top position (top and middle positions for 4 servings) and preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Halve, peel, and cut onion into 1/2 inch thick wedges, mince a few wedges until you have 2 tbsp (4 tbsp for 4). Peel and mince or grate garlic. Roughly chop pistachios. Drain and rinse Chickpeas, pat very dry with paper towels. Roughly chop cilantro. Zest and quarter lemon.
2. Cook Rice
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in a small pot over medium high heat (use 2 tbsp butter a medium pot for 4 servings). Add minced onion, half of the garlic, half of the pistachios (save the rest for serving), half the Shawarma Spice (you’ll use the rest in the next step) add a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Stir, in rice, 3/4 cup water (1 1/2 cups for 4), stock Concentrate and a big pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes.
- Keep covered and off heat,until ready to use in step 5.
3. Roast Veggies & Chickpeas
- Toss onion wedges, tomatoes, and chickpeas on a baking sheet with a large drizzle of olive oi, Shawarma Spice, pepper, and a few pinches of salt. (For 4 servings, divide everything remaining Shawarma Spice, pepper and a few pinches of salt. (For 4 servfngs, divide everything between 2 baking sheets, roast on top and middle racks, tossing veggies and swapping rack psitions halway through roasting).
- Roast on top rack, tossing halfway through until veggies are tender and lightly charred and chickpeas are crispy. 18-20 minutes. (It is natural for chickpeas to pop a bit.
4. Make Sauce
- While veggies and chickpeas roast, in a small bowl, combine sour cream with remaining garlic to taste. Season with salt. Stir in water, 1 tsp at a time until mixture reaches a drizzling consistency.
5. Mix & Toss
- Fluff rice with a fork; stir in 1 tbsp of butter and half the cilantro. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once veggies and chickpeas are done, remove from oven and toss with lemon zest.
- Divide rice between shallow bowls. Top with veggies and chickpeas. Drizzle with arlicky white sauce and hot sauce to taste. Sprinkle with remaining pistachios and cilantro top with lemon juice to taste, serve with any remaining lemon wedges on the side.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did. Lois